Pain is inevitable, but suffering is optional. Pain is also a symptom that tells the body that something is wrong; however, it becomes persistent or chronic serves no purpose and interferes with the quality of life making patient irritable, sad or depressed. This chronic pain becomes like a disease affecting both the patient and the family.
A short course of analgesics has helped most of the patients in acute pain, but in due course become ineffective and have adverse effects on the body. Patients continue to suffer in pain in spite of medical and surgical treatment and diagnosing the cause of pain becomes difficult.
Holy Spirit Hospital Pain Management Clinic is a specialized centre wherein such patients with chronic pain are thoroughly assessed and treated with a combination of pharmacotherapy, pain blocks, counseling, education, exercises and lifestyle modifications, thereby helping in reducing the pain so that the individual person and their loved ones have the best quality of life.
Common conditions treated in our PAIN CLINIC are:
• Low back pain
• Neck pain
• Cancer pains
• Trigeminal Neuralgia
• Atypical facial pains
• Diabetic Neuropathy
• Post herpetic neuralgia
• Headaches / Migraine
• Pain greater than 3 months duration on responding to conservative treatment where surgical intervention is not possible or not desired.
• To reduce or eliminate pain completely
• To make Oncology patients Pain free.
• To reduce the use of medicines, if not totally stop them.
• To improve the Quality of Life of every patient in pain.
- Consultation and Counseling
- Interventional Pain procedures like non-operative slip disc or Spondylosis nerve blocks etc. and plenty more listed below:
- Radiofrequency nerve ablation (RF) for back pain, slip Di Spondylosis, nerve pain and cancer pain
- Local anesthetic, Steroid, Non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs and other medication assisted various blocks for back pain, slip disk spondylosis, nerve pain and cancer pain
- Chemical Neurolysis for Cancer pain and Nerve pain
- Spinal cord stimulation for Post spine surgery pain, Nerve pain and any pain which not responding the treatment mentioned here
- Intrathecal pumps for Post spine surgery pain, Cancer pain, Nerve pain and any pain which not responding the treatment mentioned here
- Trigger point procedure for persistent Muscle pain or Nerve pain
- PCA* Patient controlled analgesia and continuous catheters for acute pain for admitted Inpatients and also acute or chronic pain
- Complied Medications
- Combining various treatment like medications, physiotherapy and psychologist for the maximum benefit of the patient.
- ADVANTAGES of Interventional pain procedures:
- More options and flexibility for controlling their pain quickly and immediately in most cases.
- Might need less or no medications for their pain symptom after pain procedure.
- Good options for the patients who are not surgical candidates according to surgeons/physicians or unfit for operative procedures and also an option for those who don’t want surgery like few of Slip Disc, Back pain or Spondylosis patients.
- All above mentioned procedures are day cases except selected few like Implantable Spinal Cord stimulator or implantable pump.
- Performed mostly under local anesthesia, General anesthesia is not required.
- Almost all of these procedures are safe. Complications are rare.
- Early post procedure recovery and quick rehabilitation is one of the most important aspect of these procedures.
- Dr. (Mrs.) Snehal Panchal
- MD, DNB(Anaesthesiology), Fellowship in Pain Management (Jaslok), FIAPM
- Book appoinmtment