The Paediatric Endocrinology at Holy Spirit Hospital a comprehensive facility for the diagnosis and treatment of all hormonal disorders occurring in children from birth until 18 years of age.
Hormonal disorders involve the hormone secreting (endocrine) glands in the body and usually involve an excess or deficiency of hormones or their action caused by a genetic / developmental or acquired disorder. These may be manifest from birth to adolescence.
- Our QualifiedDoctors at Holy Spirit Hospital treats many endocrine disorders, such as:
- Growth disorders, such as short stature and obesity
- Thyroid disorders
- Childhood diabetes, including insulin and non-insulin dependent
- Puberty disorders, such as delayed and precious (occurring too early) puberty
- Menstrual disorders in adolescents including PCOD (Polycystic Ovarian Disorder)
- Bone and calcium metabolism disorders, including those related to Vitamin D deficiency or resistance, such as rickets, disorders of bone fragility causing fractures, and others
- Adrenal glands disorders, including excess steroid drug use
- Pituitary gland disorders
- Hormonal dysfunctions occurring in children with Beta Thalassemia Major as a consequence of receiving frequent blood transfusions
- Endocrine (hormonal) consequences in survivors of childhood cancer
- Disorders manifesting with atypical external genitalia (disorders of sexual differentiation) in newborns and their consequences and management in childhood and adolescence
- Hormonal disorders causing low blood sugars (hypoglycemic disorders) from neonatal period up to adolescence
- Using a team approach, we work closely with specialists in the Paediatric unit, including, Paediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU), Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU), paediatric surgery, and other allied paediatric subspecialties.